Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Artists Guide pg 28-44 How to's

Showing My Work

In this chapter the author discusses different methods for submitting your art work successfully. "A work sample is a visual image of your work as captured on digital files, color transparencies, photographs, or video." This way is most efficient says Battenfield, and this will probably be the only way people can see your work without visiting it in a gallery. You cannot rely on the gallery or photographer to set up the piece correctly, so we as artists have to be knowledgeable ourselves on our own work. To make sure we have a good sample we should take pictures of the piece from different angles and heights, reduce glares, and make sure all colors of the piece are visible. It is especially important in installation pieces to have a sense of scale so adding a person next to the piece would help in the photograph. The author also said to look in art magazines, and exhibition announcements at other peoples artwork to help with your own art work. For my area in sculpture it is good to take pictures in the processes from beginning to end. She says it would be guiding the curator or gallery through my process to make them more interested. The labeling and digital camera sections are also very helpful for me because I am not familiar with those areas. This chapter is very helpful in my future success with my prints and sculptures. I learned more in this book than any teacher has taught me!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment